Revamping the Accessories


Given enough time most homes will go through multiple stages of decorating makeovers. I for one am a woman who likes to change out throw pillow covers sooner than what's needed. The seasons have a lot to do with my pillow cover addiction, along with the fact that I have a serious fabric fetish. For my living area I probably will never settle for one accent fabric pattern, but I have embraced a way to stay put where other accessories come into play.

I am a thrift and flea market enthusiast. For many years I collected numerous decor items and within the last decade had a change of heart about the base colors used not only for my furniture, but also for most decorative accents. I lightened up and advanced my love for neutrals. Neutrals are the backbone to any interior decor color scheme. They grant easy access for layering either with a minimalist approach, or continuing with a desire for abundance and even something in-between. When it comes to accessorizing a home, having most things in neutrals allows the favored colorful items to shine. But what are you to do while on a strict budget and are unable to justify tossing out things you've collected over time, just to fulfill a new craving for different colors and tones???

My fellow decoraholics...the answer to that question is what chalk based paints were created for!#


There are numerous brands of chalk based paints on the market now and most are very popular for painting and revamping furniture, but not everyone wants to change all of their tables, chairs, cabinets, dressers, headboards and etc., you dig? So for those of you that are satisfied with the look of of your furniture, but have started to despise the look of the other decor objects throughout your house, I write this suggestive post with you in mind. You DO NOT need to be a skilled artist to transform your old things into new treasures. READ THAT AGAIN. By gathering a few paint supplies, some time, effort, a small work space, a brave mindset, a glass of wine, or delicious cup of coffee, tea (actually with any beverage of choice) you can easily and beautifully transform old decor items, giving them a more desired and refreshed appearance that will save you money. A decorating makeover can start by working with what you already have. Plus, it will make such objects keepers for you to enjoy for many more years. The internet is overflowing with "how to" tips and videos for chalk painting furniture and those same techniques can be applied to home accessories. The world of home beautification and transformation projects awaits you. If on a tight budget you can create your own chalky paint by mixing flat or eggshell latex paint with a little calcium carbonate blended in water. The advantage is not having to prep too much when using this type of paint and it sticks to just about any surface. The internet is also loaded with DIY chalk based paint recipes too and if you prefer color over neutrals, don't be shy. Below are color charts found on Google of a few popular chalk based paint brands...








I chalk paint practically any and every thing if I like the item, but can't use its original color in my home. It takes too much time and money to replace things, and if the shape and size of an item works well but looks dated, just paint over the tired old surface of it. You'll be much wiser and happier after it's done. It also adds authenticity to your decor. Most older things in my home are painted using various shades of white, cream, grey, and beige chalk paints, but occasionally I do add in muted pinks, greens, aqua or turquoise. I even blend colors to create a desired one. The key is to learn to layer using multiple tones of a color or various colors by dry brushing, which is a simple technique that adds more depth and character, plus gives a professional look too. I usually dry brush in monotones. After it's dry, using a fine grade sanding block to smooth out the paint finish or to distress the piece is important and each piece must be completed with a finishing wax, followed by a quick buffing. Wax protects the paint job and brings it to life. Wax comes in various shades so remember it can alter the paint color too. The deeper wax shades make the colors turner warmer, which in my opinion is a great option.

Below are a few of my chalk painted decor accessories. Most items ware previously a very dark brown, two where dark orange, one was a butter yellow and one a teal blue. I didn't take a bunch of before pictures, but imagine having all the accessories in your home dark brown...hmmm...it would look dated and as if it lacked creative vision and as if everything came from one store full of imports. HA!

Throughout our home there are these candle holders, which used to be dark...


and finials and fleur de lis finials, I did not include the ones on the patio, lol....



This urn/vase was a dark teal blue...


A plant stand before painting, during, and after...


This pottery piece and finial were found while thrifting at a Goodwill. Chalk paint truly transforms...



It is amazing how many items you can find in your home to refresh before venturing out to buy something new, but I suggest if you're in need to buy accessory items first seek out thrift stores, flea markets, and estate/garage sales to find them. I only shop new when I can't find it thrifting. Even then, I have painted some new items to personalize them for my home. Shopping in popular home furnishing stores doesn't mean that mass produced not one-of-a-kind item can't be made into a "one of a kind" treasure. Why have the same exact thing in your home as in the catalog layout?  

~ Pick up that paint brush and make it happen! ~

Comments

Popular Posts