For the Love of Knobs

One of the simplest ways to give storage type of items for your home a new look is to paint them, but sometimes a wonderful paint job isn’t enough. By adding decorative drawer-pulls or knobs a wood piece can be instantly transformed into a keeper. As mentioned in the previous post Alone With the Island, after painting my kitchen island I added these lovely medium white bronze Fleur de Lis knobs made by Rocky Mountain Hardware and to all of the kitchen cabinets...
on the island drawer and doors...
In the kitchen is also our laundry closet and we use a large vintage apothecary jar with a wood lid to hold powder detergent. I put a Fleur de Lis knob on its lid too...
For Petite, my cute little pink nook table featured in the post To Sink Or Not To Sink, I added this pretty ceramic with decorative bronze knob found in the Etsy shop HookAndKnob...
On the wall side of our dining table sits a new World Market Everett Foyer Table, which I painted. Whether a decor item is old or new, if it doesn’t exactly fit my vision it gets painted in this home. Afterward I added two of these beautiful Nantucket style pulls to the drawers that are made of unfinished cast iron and came from the Etsy shop ApplePickerVintage...
Storage was needed for my unsightly necessities (like medications and other things I use daily) that hang out in my master bath vanity. I love butterflies and so did one of my best friends, Amy. On October 2nd, being only 49 years of age, Amy unexpectedly passed from heart disease and losing her has been very painful. We both love to dabble in painting decorative things and love the color pink, so in her remembrance I found an old wood box at Goodwill, painted it and lined it with pink accented butterfly paper. Two weeks before her passing she had found a box at Goodwill and painted it beautifully. To compliment the Waterford Crystal used on the vanity counter, I chose a handmade glass butterfly knob found in the Etsy shop SimplyDecorandCrafts...
the inside...
the finished box...
Recently on eBay I found another large vintage apothecary jar and removed the dark stain on the wood lid and paint washed it. I placed a pewter butterfly knob I’ve had for probably 25 years on top. It holds my favorite bath soap ~ Yves Delorme Provence...
During the process of revamping my master bath I've discovered the cabinet probably originally had double hole handle pulls on the two drawers and two doors, instead of the single hole big wood knobs that were there when we moved in. I had already purchased four little glass knobs to blend in with my crystal and didn't want to waste gas taking them back. To reverse back to the original holes would require me to fill in the single holes and search for handle pulls that measured to fit the double holes. That's too much work! Especially for a cabinet that may or may not be replaced one day with something more creative and beautiful. This cabinet may be as old as this 1978 townhouse, but it was made with solid wood. I have seen many glass knobs like these below on Etsy and others for varied prices, but at Home Depot they were 2.99 each, minus the shipping charge and wait. To me that's a good buy and I definitely prefer glass over acrylic...
With decorative pulls and knobs there are many possibilities to make you smile as you reach to use your storage items daily.
~ Amy, you are loved and truly missed ~

Comments

  1. Knobs really do make the piece. Sometimes the knob can inspire how to paint it. You have some lovely knobs. I am sorry you lost your friend at such a young age.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it interesting what a difference the right hardware can make? Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very interesting indeed. I look forward to sharing with you again.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts